For decades people have incorrectly labeled politicians either liberal or conservative. They are neither. They suffer from "Narcissistic Personality Disorder". A description of this disorder follows. Doesn't this fit them and their cronies to a T?
Description: The narcissistic personality is defined by the following characteristics:
(1) grandiose sense of one's self-importance;
(2) preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance;
(4) response to criticism, indifference or defeat with cool indifference or with marked feelings of rage, inferiority, shame, humiliation,emptiness;
(5) entitlement, expecting special favors without assuming reciprocal responsibilities;
(7) relationships vacillate between the extremes of over idealization and devaluation; and
(8) lack of empathy.
The test is made up of 223 items that sample the domain of the narcissistic personality defined by the above characteristics. Each item is a pair of statements, one narcissistic and the other nonnarcissistic. Subjects are required to check on of the two statements.
"Narcissistic Personality Inventory"Raskin, Robert R. and Hall, Calvin S. , Psychological Reports.1979;45:450.
Yet another description
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements).
2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.
3. Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
4.Requires excessive admiration.
5.Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations.
6. Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends.
7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.
9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
A Link to more information
Malignant Self Love - Narcissism Revisited